Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Collective Action Possibilites Abound

While it is true that there are many options I have a bit of a dilemma in that I first need to focus on what grade I want to work with. At this point I think I will be teaching 3rd and 4th grade next year, so with that in mind my brainstorming list includes:
mystery Skype
students then developing a collaboration using Skype for a different purpose
Skype or Google Hangout to develop a partnership with a school from another country.
Blog writing by students and having assigned blog partners to comment and collaborate with.
Using google docs to write poetry and research with a Skype or Blog partner.
Using Pirate Pad or an electronic sticky-note format to brainstorm with collaborative partners.
Use twitter in the classroom

Imagine or Ponder these possibilities further:
What would it be like if students came up with ideas for how to collaborate with new friends from other places and time zones? What types of questions would they ask? How might I support their inquiry so that questions become deep and thought altering?
How might my instruction change if I incorporated twitter in the classroom? How would I model the potential of learning through this avenue?
Suppose that we found another classroom to partner with, what are some ideas that our collaborating teacher and their students might suggest?
What would change if my students accepted some of the collaborative challenges that we read about? How might their curiosity grow? How might this encourage students to find and then follow their passions?
How would instruction look differently if students learned through problem solving and creative exploration? How might I teach to the standards while allowing for student interest? How do I set curriculum aside in order to encourage deep learning? How do I make sure that I don't leave gaps in learning if I do this?
Exploration of an idea:
I loved reading Kathy Cassidy's book "Connected From the Start." I am amazed at the connectivity and natural connections to digital citizenship that happen in her classroom. If she can do all of that with such young children, then surely I can do part of that with 3rd and 4th graders. I know that she uses twitter and I am somewhat fascinated with how she uses twitter in the classroom. I want to explore this topic and learn more about how to set up a class twitter account and to think about what tools students can use so that they can twitter. Would it be on my phone, on my iPad, or could we have consistent access to the iPads on certain days or hours or the days? Carrie Kamm has some great ideas in her blog post, Getting Started With Twitter in the Classroom
I look forward reading more blog posts to see how others have used twitter in the classroom and to consider how I can substitute weekly or daily reading and writing opportunities for twitter opportunities. Reading and writing for me has tremendous limits. Reading and writing for an audience who might write back and potentially expand horizons is priceless.

3 comments:

  1. Linda,
    You've posed some really powerful questions in your wondering that do abound with possibility!

    And you've selected to use Twitter as a tool to collaborate. As you've been thinking on it, I'm hoping you might share in what ways you are envisioning (at this very moment) Twitter deepening learning through reading and writing for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    You've posed some really powerful questions in your wondering that do abound with possibility!

    And you've selected to use Twitter as a tool to collaborate. As you've been thinking on it, I'm hoping you might share in what ways you are envisioning (at this very moment) Twitter deepening learning through reading and writing for your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda,
    What thoughtful questions you are posing for yourself here. You are thinking that you will be working with 3rd and 4th graders next year and are hoping to make a lasting connection with another group of learners. What is your "first next step" in making this happen?

    You are wondering around curriculum, deeper learning, and making sure things don't get pushed aside. These thoughts parallel mine, especially in determining what really matters. There are two things that came to mind...the first being a post I read recently, http://ajjuliani.com/samr-missing-a-level/ and the second, being our discussion around competence; Competence = Knowing + Doing + Wanting
    What are your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete